Re: donations and paypal

On 17/11/14 at 16:09 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > However, this is not a reason to bounce my email from -www@ to -project@
> > without making it clear that you did that (by forwarding it instead of
> > bouncing it, for example).
>
> FTR, I was the one who bounced the message, not David.

Ah, then I apologize for blaming David.

But given that you chose to move this discussion to -project@, I'd like
to extend to you the same questions I asked to David.

As I already wrote, I totally agree that Paypal is far from perfect,
and, if there were some FLOSS-friendly payment processors available, I
would love to see Debian advertise and use them. There's a simple path
to scratch that itch: help design FLOSS-friendly payment processors, and
help our TOs support them.

However, in the meantime, I don't think that the problems with Paypal
are a sufficient condition to refrain from using it. I actually see this
discussion as similar to the one about the use of CDNs: CDNs are more an
infrastructure issue than a free software issue; payment processors are
a financial issue, not a free software issue.

Lucas