Re: Sponsoring a Tails hackfest?

Quoting Steve Langasek (2014-05-04 10:27:44)
> On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 08:43:07AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
>> The Tails project is a Debian-based live system
[snip]
>> Their overall budget is between 10kEUR and 20kEUR.
[snip]
>> I am planning to allocate 5000 EUR.
>
> As you say, this is a derivative, rather than a pure blend.  While
> Tails seems to be doing great work, and I'm happy that they're trying
> to work closely with Debian, the fact that they *are* a derivative
> rather than a pure blend makes me question spending Debian money on
> this.
>
> Nothing says a pure blend couldn't have its own public identity, and
> if they were a pure blend, I would have no concern about the
> expenditure.  But since it's a derivative rather than a pure blend,
> how do we know that in /this/ case, the work at the sprint is going to
> benefit Debian?  The website has a very admirable statement about
> minimizing the delta with Debian, but is the size of this delta
> published and tracked anywhere?

I've thought similar to you, Steve, but support the sponsorship:

Tails is a (non-pure) Debian Blend.

In 2011, I asked the former DPL for sponsoring a 2 months trip to India
with the purpose of giving talks and participating in local sessions
about FreedomBox - also a non-pure Debian Blend.  Response then was to
cover only half, leaving to the FreedomBox Foundation to cover the other
half.

Personally I was frustrated not to get full support (and FreedomBox
Foundation later turned down my request for sponsorship), but from a
Debian point of view I find it sensible to sponsor non-pure Blends
partly like Lucas is proposing (or already decided?) here.

 - Jonas