Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 11:07:17PM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Consequently, any GR about init-related issues would now need to
> explicity state that it upholds the CTTE's decision for the default
> init system. Lacking that, passing of the GR would, as a *side-effect*
> nullify the CT decision about the default init. I would be surprised
> if this is what the majority ofthe CTTE intended.

I'd be surprised if even a minority intended this. Remember that over
turning the default init will mean a lot of work. Once work has begun
on embedding systemd, what would a conspirator really expect to happen
if they popped up with "aha! a GR has reversed the CTTE decision! You
are now all compelled to put the work in to *actually* reverse it!"[1].

I continue to assume good faith.

[1] Imagine this in the vein of Monty Python's Inquisitor sketch