Re: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads

Ansgar Burchardt writes ("Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads"):
> (Please send followup messages to -project.)
>
> The ftp team wants to change how allowing Debian Maintainers to upload
> packages works.  The current approach with the DM-Upload-Allowed field
> has a few issues we would like to address:

Your proposal simultaneously changes two things:

>  - It applies to all DMs listed as Maintainer/Uploaders. It is not
>    possible to grant upload permission to only a specific DM.

This does involve changing the structure of the metadata.

And I find it difficult to see what it would mean to list a DM as a
Maintainer or an Uploader if they weren't supposed to be able to
upload the package.

>  - It is tied to the source package so can only be changed with a
>    sourceful upload.

This is slightly annoying but given that maintainership changes
involve an upload too, it hardly seems fatal.  Has this been a problem
in practice ?

>  - It allows DMs to grant permissions to other DMs.

It is far from clear that forbidding this is the right thing to do.

Ian.