Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:08:32 +0200, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> * Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> [2012-04-09 14:02:02 CEST]:
> > On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:28:58PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> > > So, I wrote a draft - mainly based on the one [4] created for Ubuntu
> > > by Matt Zimmerman with the help of Mary Gardiner, Valerie Aurora
> > > and Benjamin Mako Hill - and I'd like to propose it to the DPL to be
> > > official published.
> > > But I'd also like to have some inputs from you all, on it.
> >
> > Dear all,
> >   here is a wrap-up (of the wrap-up (of the...)) that Francesca has just
> > shared with me based on the last feedback on list.

> > The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.
> >
> > It doesn't matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
> > we welcome you. We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they
> > interact constructively with our community.
> >
> > While much of the work for our project is technical in nature, we value
> > and encourage contributions from those with expertise in other areas,
> > and welcome them into our community.
>
>  Shouldn't there be a "too" added after "in other areas", my first
> thought was "we don't value contributions in the technical area?" when
> reading this.

It strikes me as unnecessary, but as you say, maybe that's because I
think it's being implied (as a native speaker), and non-natives will
perceive it differently.

If it is deemed that the clarification is needed, then adding 'too' is
not the way to do it -- instead we could go for:

  adding 'also' after 'we':

    ... technical in nature, we also value and encourage contributions ...

  or perhaps adding 'as well' where you were suggesting 'too':

    ... with expertise in other areas as well, ...

I think I prefer the first.

Cheers, Phil.