Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:28:58PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> So, I wrote a draft - mainly based on the one [4] created for Ubuntu
> by Matt Zimmerman with the help of Mary Gardiner, Valerie Aurora
> and Benjamin Mako Hill - and I'd like to propose it to the DPL to be
> official published.
> But I'd also like to have some inputs from you all, on it.

Dear all,
  here is a wrap-up (of the wrap-up (of the...)) that Francesca has just
shared with me based on the last feedback on list.

The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.

It doesn't matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
we welcome you. We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they
interact constructively with our community.

While much of the work for our project is technical in nature, we value
and encourage contributions from those with expertise in other areas,
and welcome them into our community.

It seems to me that there is consensus in going ahead with such a
statement, modulo some minor disagreements on the form that can still be
fixed once published following the usual (bug reporting) procedure. I
hereby declare that, as DPL, I'm happy with it and I'm ready to ask the
WWW and Press teams to publish and advertise it as a project-wide
statement.

I'll see to it in a week from now, asking for confirmation from the
future DPL. As discussed in [1], if you feel strongly about the need of
a GR for publishing this (I don't), please start one and look for
seconds as usual. Otherwise, I propose that the statement is published
under simple DPL auspices.

Cheers.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/04/msg00011.html