Re: [DEP5] Format of Copyright header

Le Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:45:58AM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > How about applying the same change to Upstream-Contact, and removing the
> > line-based list syntax entirely ?
>
> Line-based lists are not an invention of DEP-5 -- they're a standard field
> type in Policy -- so I don't think there's a huge need to get rid of them.
> They're a fairly natural structure for Upstream-Contact, which I don't
> think poses the same problem.

Lists with one item per line are definitely a natural format for documenting
multiple contacts addresses.  Nevertheless, note that in Debian control files,
the multiline fields containing lists start with an empty line.  In that sense,
“line-based lists” are a specificity of DEP 5, because they do not start with
an empty line.

I think that currently there is no project to parse copyright files and extract
this information.  This is why I would not mind the DEP being simplified there.
But I am probably biased, as I have argued before that the Upstream-Contact
field should be removed altogether.  I think that this field is a survivance
from dh_make's template, that lists “Upstream Author(s)” in addition to the
copyright holders.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy