Re: [DEP5] Format of Copyright header

Le Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 02:50:17PM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> I noticed in reviewing another patch that the Copyright header is a
> line-based list.

Hi Russ,

among the four “types of values” defined, only “line-based list” preserves all
newlines at any step of the data flow.  Using the other muliti-line type,
“formatted text”, one would need to prevent word wrapping by separating each
copyright notice with escaped empty lines, or to ensure they are displayed
verbatim by starting each line by at least two spaces.

Given that there is no easy and systematic way to associate specific copyright
notices with specific files, my personal opinion is that for the 1.0 version,
it is safer to consider the whole field free-form, under the “line-based list”
syntax, but without its syntactic implications.

If there is agreement, perhaps the current draft could be amended to reflect
this.  It is a normative change, but that will not invalidate any existing
file.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy