Potentially intersting developments in the Software Package Data Exchange format version 2.0.

Dear all,

The Software Package Data Exchange format (SPDX) is a machine-readable format
for copyright and license summaries.  Their wiki contains an interesting
proposal for a 2.0 version with a radical change, where it becomes be possible
to describe the license of a group of files.  In the previous versions, every
single file needed to be documented.

  http://spdx.org/wiki/rough-proposal-hierarchy-signing-and-supply-chain-friendliness-spdx-20

Let's see how it evolves, but would it be possible to use wildcards in file
names, this would be very good news for DEP-5.  We just would have to wait a
little bit (not so long if we consider that Sam's original idea was posted in
2007), and we could solve the question of who drives DEP-5 and when it will be
released by simply throwing it away and use SPDX 2.0.  One less problem in
Debian, which is always a good thing to take.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan