Re: Security guidelines for Debian people

* Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>, 2011-10-30, 17:33:
Personally, I think some guidelines for DD's about securing their personal machines where their private keys are located would be a good idea. It would be a lot better than just having a vague and ineffable thing called "trust".

I agree. I offer the following as a first approximation, targeted specifically for key management.

* These are meant to provide an idea of the minimal acceptable standard.
* Store your master PGP keys on at least two USB thumb drives.

This seems to suggest that having multiple copies of the PGP key somehow improves security. However, at least for some attack scenarios, it's quite the opposite.

More copies means more things that could be stolen. And backups are often stored in distant locations, so it might be easier to swipe the copy without you noticing.

--
Jakub Wilk