Re: a good command

On 10/10/2011 02:08 PM, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> 09.10.2011 12:20, fereshteh noori kirjoitti:
>> dear Debian developers
>> i am working about Debian features compared by other Linux
>> distribution, i reach to something which was amazing for me, now i am
>> asking you the question.
>> i know that the "top" command works on Debian system, not only Debian
>> but also all Linux distribution. but i could not find it in Debian man
>> pages, i used the link : http://manpages.debian.net, really it does
>> not work on Debian? or it just does not work on Debian pure
>> installation and it should be installed to work?
>> would you please do me a favor and finish this confusing?
>>
>> regards
>> fershteh
>>

> The command top comes with package procps, which is priority important
> and I believe it is always installed in Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> I do not know why manpages.debian.net does not have man top. The man
> page is included in the packages, as shown by
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/procps/filelist

With the typical mixture of information and some mediocre humor,
let me propose the cause of its omission to be a silent transition
of the Debian user community from top to the in some aspects
superior htop. And htop also has a package on its own. No idea
if its appears on m.d.n.

All the best with your study

Steffen