Re: Report from this years CeBIT

Hi Alex,

thanks for your report and thanks even more for holding the booth that
bravely (for sure this is also valid for the other booth stuff).

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 01:00:14PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> To make a long story short:  Quite a lot people came by simply to thank
> us.  I tried to count them, but somehow lost overview on the third day,
> when we reached 198.

Some kind of "Thank you counter" comes into mind - either just on paper
or on a screen. :-)

> I also noted down, that there where requests for official Debian
> packages for scratch (a programming environment for kids; might be
> interesting for DebianJr or DebianEdu),

It would be *really* cool if Debian Jr would get some new blood.  There
is a lot of work just done and I can assure help with technical stuff.
So there is actually not much technical stuff to do for keeping it alive
but rather working on updating the list of packages and doing some more
advertising work.  So if there is an *honest* request in the sense of
"I'm honest about it to spend even 2-4 hours of time per week into this
cute project" this would be a really nice thing.

> about) and Zarafa and zpush (quite big groupware suite).  We showed them
> how to report wnpp bugs, but I also promised to look at them myself, as
> some upstream developers already provide Debian packages on their own.

Sponsoring those packages - provided that they are policy compliant
would be a good thing to do.  I learned in the past that some upstream
just not expected that this is possible at all ...

> I'd also got in contact with my former University, who a) just created a
> nice library for machine learning and would like to package it and b)

Contacting debian-science@lists.debian.org when doing the packaging for
this seems like a reasonable idea.

> screenshot service [9].  Especially the later one was well received,
> when I showed them, that screenshots turn up in packaging tools like
> synaptic or packages.debian.org.  I hope that this will boosts the
> number of available screenshots a bit :)

Cool!

> So... I think that's about it.  Again I'd like to thank our sponsors
> Univention [10] and Deutsche Messe AG; as well as the Debian folks who
> did booth duty -- most of them on a kind of "forced volunteer" basis ;)

"Forced volunteer" - LOL.

Thanks

     Andreas.

--