Re: DEP5: Extra fields without ‘X-’ prefix?

On su, 2010-11-14 at 11:13 +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>         Extra fields can be added to any paragraph. No prefixing is
>         necessary. Future versions of the `debian/copyright`
>         specification will attempt to avoid conflicting specifications
>         for widely used extra fields.
>
> Is that enough? This is a minor detail, I'd like to not start specifying
> too much about how parsers are supposed to handle the fields, etc.

I ended up with this formulation, I hope that's acceptable to everyone:

        -Extra fields can be added to any paragraph. Their name starts
        by **`X-`**.
        +Extra fields can be added to any paragraph.
        +No prefixing is necessary or desired, but please avoid names
        similar
        +to standard ones so that mistakes are easier to catch.
        +Future versions of the `debian/copyright`
        +specification will attempt to avoid conflicting specifications
        +for widely used extra fields.

After this, we should have the license shortname, description, SPDX
compatibility, etc, discussion remaining before the DEP5 spec should
hopefully be finished.