Re: Welcome to our 2010 Debian Google Summer of Code students!

On 04/26/2010 11:51 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 26 avril 2010 à 23:12 +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
>> Le lundi 26 avril 2010 à 21:40 +0200, Obey Arthur Liu a écrit :
>>> == Debian High Performance Computing on Clouds ==
>>> by Dominique Belhachemi, mentored by Steffen Moeller
>>>
>>> The project paves a way to combine the demands in high performance
>>> computing with the dynamics of compute clouds with Debian. Combining
>>> the Eucalyptus cloud computing infrastructure with the TORQUE resource
>>> manager and preparing the components for dynamically added and removed
>>> instances provides the user with a attractive high performance
>>> computing environment. Such a system allows users to share resources
>>> with large compute centers with minimal changes in their workflow and
>>> scripts.
>>
>> Sorry but I have to object to a project that is based on non-free
>> software. Especially when we have free and superior packages in the
>> archive that provide similar functionality.
>
> Michael Bank just explained to me privately that the Torque license is
> actually more free than it used to be. And while it has very obnoxious
> restrictions, it sounds like something that could be accepted in main.
> So provided that the FTP masters give their approval to it, I will have
> to retract that objection.
>
> That said, I retain my stance on the technical superiority of other
> software (like slurm-llnl) over torque. I don’t see anything in the
> proposal that justifies using a software which is a bit outdated and
> with a blurry license per se - but if the student knows it better, it
> also makes sense.

I should have read my inbox to the end. I got another email by Arthur,
asking for a clarification, who presumably has not read this email of
yours when he wrote it.

So, let us substitute "Torque" with "some free batch system known to
the HPC community." This should make everyone happy.

Steffen