Re: Let's resurrect Debian Weekly News (act the second)

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:16:52PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:53:41AM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > Keeping up with the news is a lot of work, and there's usually not
> > enough people to do it. It doesn't make sense to do the work twice.
> > Why not work together with Ana into making this website and the DWN
> > newsletter two ways of accessing the same information?
>
> In fact, what I think is really sub-optimal is that potential
> contributors have two different channels to submit news.  For instance,
> I submit from time to time news to news.debian.net by mailing
> submit@news.d.n. Now that DWN is being resurrected I don't really want
> to have to inform two separate recipients (most likely because I'll
> forget one of the two addresses).
>
> How about establishing a common place to collect news?
>
> If debian-publicity@l.d.o is already an established place, maybe Ana
> (BCc-ed) can make news.d.n submit address point there and follow that
> list? Similar concerns exist for the form on news.d.n, maybe it can
> notify -publicity upon submission too?

Currently the most 2 popular ways of submitting stuff to news.d.n are the
email address submit@news.d.n and the web form. The web form just sends an
email to the submit@news.d.n alias. If somebody wants to volunteer to be
added to this alias and add the important bits in the DPN's subversion,
it seems to me like a good solution. I do not think it is a good idea
including in such alias debian-publicity@ because it gets a lot of
spam (99.99 % of the alias traffic).

I think it could be interesting add here a few statistics about the number
of contributions http://news.debian.net has got.
The service has been running for 8 months now and it has got exactly 18
submissions: 14 via the web form and 4 by email. I only have "rejected" 2
submissions, one was from a user and the problem was basically bad timing
on my side to look at it, the other was about an ongoing Debian event and
I asked better to link a final report about the event.
At least 4 of the web form submission have been after asking the submitter
via IRC directly if he could submit something to news.d.n.

Ana