Re: Invite to join the Release Team

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 06:14:45PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 04:09:34PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > That meeting took place in May of last year. What's the point of discussing
> > it almost 9 months later? What exactly triggered your blog post?
>
> We are in an election period and I would like for the project
> to elect a DPL who not only does not support a certain level
> of non-transparency, but is actively intolerant of it.

If you have such questions, it's usually easiest for everyone involved
if you bring them up on -vote, the relevant forum for this kind of
thing.

Anyway, since you ask (cc to -vote added),

I believe it is nobody's business where anyone heads off to if they pay
for it all by themselves. If a group of Debian people decides to meet up
in a pub in Cambridge, that's their prerogative. If the members of that
group just happen to coincide with the members of a particular team
within Debian, that does not change the situation, nor would it if they
discuss matters related to what the team does in Debian; and if those
discussions result in any kind of decision that is their responsibility
to take, I still don't see any problem. Whether we talk about the
release team consisting of people from all over the world, or the debian
ocaml team consisting of mostly people from France (with the occasional
Italian guy -- hey Zack!) is irrelevant in that part, IMO.

Of course it is desirable for the team to communicate any decisions
through the proper channels, whenever and wherever they could be
relevant to other people; this may involve a debian-devel-announce post,
or, say, in case of something relevant to porters, a mail to the
debian-ports alias. The team should also be careful to talk to relevant
other people *before* making a definite decision if it could reasonably
be expected that such input from outside the team could bring up
important information.

But all this is no different to any other form of communication. As long
as a team does not actively refuse cooperation from people outside their
team, it should be totally their decision whether they want to use
mailinglists, private mails, IRC channels, blog posts, instant
messaging, or real-life meetings as their preferred method of
communication.

Of course, if the team does ask for (and receives) Debian money, then
some level of reporting after the fact should be mandatory, to make sure
that the DPL and the project as a whole can decide whether the money has
been well spent. It should also be made reasonably clear how interested
parties can join the team. But beyond that, I do not believe that any
requirements should be made on how people decide what their preferred
method of communication is.

> I do not know whether or not we have any potential candidates
> who fit that bill yet.

Hope this helps,

trying to fool the system.