Re: Genericly-named debian.net domains for private use

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:19:31PM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > Okay. Well, I’ve just put Daniel (owner of {git,backports}.debian.net)
> > on CC
>
> Thank you for making me aware of it, I've read through the thread now.
>
> To summarise, there appears to be two seperated though related issues:
>
>   * that people (me) using a debian.net subdomain for which a debian.org
>     subdomain exists, for their personal stuff, as it is allegedly the
>     case for git.debian.net.
>
>   * that people (me) using a debian.net subdomain for which no debian
>     subdomain exists but another pre-existing, unofficial service on a
>     different but similar domain is known, as it is the case for
>     backports.debian.net.
>
> Apart from the (apparently causing) initial mail[0] who confused
> backports.debian.net with backports.org which could be understand as
> reasoning for the specific case, the second issue, i don't see any
> reasoning given in the thread for the general case, the first issue.
>
> > so that he can take a look at this thread and see what their
> > peers think of this, and he can proceed as he considers appropriate.
>
> for the first issue, given that:
>
>   * git.debian.org exists and is in use,
>   * git.debian.net is not (only) used for my personal stuff,
>   * there are about 200 (+/- 5 i guess) packages in the archive using
>     git.debian.net,

To be fair, your are giving biased information: 147 out of the 179
repositories on git.debian.net (from a quick grep) are owned by you,
plus the 6 from the Debian Live Project, which you are part of, and
the 23 from the Debian Forensics Team, which you are part of, too.

Note that both Debian Live Project and Debian Forensics Team have
their project page on alioth.

Mike