Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 07:53:08PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:42:14PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> That's what I mean with "this doesn't scale to big groups". Above
>> some size (which Debian has - by far - exceeded), the opposite
>> constraints on the number of people that have to endorse become
>> contradictory.

> How does the stauts quo solve this problem?

The number of people that have to endorse is low and more or less
fixed. It does not require wide consensus for one to become a DD.

>> That seems incredibly low; it allows a tiny minority to completely
>> block the whole process.

> How does the stauts quo solve this problem?

In the status quo, there is no way that if you and I team up, we can
block all NM candidates. DAM / NM Front Desk / some small groups could
block, but they have a special position based on delegation, we
consider them more trustworthy than a random member; if they start
behaving in a way we don't want, the DPL / a GR can change the
delegation, and all that. What the proposals says is that any two out
of the (currently) thousand can block all entrants. This is scary to
me.

I'm deeply unhappy about the status quo, but for other reasons than
these.

--
Lionel