Re: Debian logos and trademarks

Hi SPI!

As per the thread on debian-project [0] I'm writing to request that SPI
relicense the Debian logos that they hold the copyright to [1] under the
MIT copyright license:

>       Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
>       obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
>       files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
>       including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
>       publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software,
>       and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
>       subject to the following conditions:
>
>       The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
>       included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
>       THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
>       KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE
>       WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
>       NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
>       BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
>       AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR
>       IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
>       THE SOFTWARE.

I'm further requesting that SPI not enforce the "open use" logo (ie,
the swirl) as an exclusive trademark, and to limit any enforcement
activities to ensuring the trademark remains available to be to refer
to and promote Debian.

The "official use" logo (ie, the swirl and bottle) should continue to
be enforced as an unregistered trademark, with that logo (or similar
logos) only being authorised to be used where the product or service
being referred to is officially related to Debian (such as an official
CD image, a t-shirt promoting debian.org, a Debian developer's business
card, etc).  In cases of doubt, leader@debian.org may be contacted to
determine whether something is officially related to Debian.

If the board has any concerns or questions regarding this course of
action, please don't hesitate to raise them.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/02/msg00019.html

[1] http://www.debian.org/logos/