Re: Conflicting information on current Debian release

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:10:47PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> The Debian home page (http://www.debian.org/) notes the announcement of
> the "Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0," and the page linked by
> that note says "The Debian project confirms December 2006 as the date
> for the next release of its distribution which will be named Debian
> GNU/Linux 4.0 alias 'etch'."  However, elsewhere on the Debian home page
> I see: "The latest stable release of Debian is 3.1."  Why doesn't it say
> 4.0?

Because the statement "The Debian project confirms December 2006 as the date
for the next release of its distribution" was made without the consent of
the release team. and misrepresents the realities of the release process.
3.1 is still the latest stable release of Debian.