Re: Custom Debian Distribution for creative artists and wannabes

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, November 18, 2006 4:45 am, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> I think Agnula/DeMuDi might be a starting point for you - have you looked
> at their project?

Yes, I have looked at both Agnula and Dyne.bolic. My impression is that
Angula is heavily weighted toward music composition and recording and
Dyne.bolic emphasizes streaming audio and video.

While I'd like to have a minimalistic collection of sound recording and
music composition tools -- just enough, say, to record a simple animation
sound track -- I'd like to weight the collection predominantly toward the
visual/graphic arts.

Over the next couple of days I'll try to list some of the packages that
I'd like to see in the distribution.

Big issue is that I don't yet understand the process of creating a custom
disk well enough. I'll be working on that. But, if it's just a process of
substituting package names in a file, then an existing package like Agnula
might be well worth studying.

Second issue is that, for the audience I'm envisioning, the technical
issues of loading the software, setting up user accounts, configuring
network and peripherals -- printer, scanner, graphics tablet, etc. -- must
be reduced to simplest possible procedures. These, I know, are issues for
all of Debian. But maybe this project can lend them impetus.

Many thanks,

Lloyd