Re: Debian Pure Project

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:55:12AM -0700, Robert Tolu wrote:
> Dear Debian Developers:
>
> My name is Robert Tolu and I currently lead a project
> known as Debian Pure (www.debianpure.com).  I am
> writing because it has come to my attention that the
> Debian name is a trademark and I may be infringing on
> this trademark.  Let me tell you about Debian Pure.
> Basically, it?s the official Sarge installer slightly
> modified to install sets of packages and preseeds to
> get a Debian desktop running.  The packages that are
> included all come from the official Sarge repositories
> with the exceptions of the common plugins (Java,
> Flash, w32codecs, libdvdcss2, mplayer).

Well, the problem with a name like yours, as has been seen in the antecedent
of secure debian or whatever it was, is the connotation that debian is not
pure or pure enough or whatever. I don't think, but other will comment better,
that you can continue using this name with the current policies and the
secure-debian antecedent because of it.

(Also, on a side note, but i guess the name is counter-intuitive, since your
sub-distrib is not 'purer' than debian, since it hads some packages of dubious
legal standing, but this is only my interpretation).

Friendly,

Sven Luther