Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

<quote who="Florian Weimer" date="Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:13:06AM +0200">
> How is Debian related to the "Debian Core Consortium"?  Why are they
> using the name "Debian"?
>
> In principle, I don't have anything against Debian spinoffs, but
> they shouldn't use confusing names that suggest they are more Debian
> than Debian itself (or something like that).
>
> Or is this something Debian plans to be affiliated with in an
> official manner?

You are correct. This very well may be a trademark issue. We've asked
other people to change their names in similar situations in the
past. This particular case was actually raised with Jeff Licquia from
Progeny last week at Debconf (I can't remember by who) and I brought
it up briefly with Greg Pomerantz (SPI's lawyer and long-time
trademark guru) after the meeting. I think we should defer to Greg on
how to handle this.

For those that don't know, "Debian" is a registered trademark. This
means that a group of us decided a number of years ago to keep
consumers (and developers) from being confused by ensuring that
"Debian" referred only to our project and to our products. As a
result, derivatives (i.e., projects which are no longer Debian) cannot
call themselves "Debian" because it is incorrect and confusing.

There are alternatives that some people support (e.g., allowing anyone
to call anything Debian) but we've decided not to pursue that path at
the moment.

In the future, you should CC spi-trademark@lists.spi-inc.org on this
sort of mail. While members of the SPI trademark committee certainly
read this list, our lawyer does not. I'm CCing SPI trademark and the
SPI board on this message.

Regards,
Mako

--