Re: Is there a cost for bussiness to use Debian?

El Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:30:19AM +1000, Steve Cottom escribió:

> I have been told that Linux is free for personal use but businesses must
> pay, I need to comfirm this for this situation.
> Any information you can supply would be much appreciated.

As somebody already said, you don't have to pay anything to use linux in a
business...

...but you will have to pay for "commercial" support, for example if you want
to be able to call somebody by telephone and ask him/her to help with the
problems you may be having with your Linux installation.

I know often when you design a project like this, the people who has to take
the decision want to have some commercial company behind their Linux
installation...

Also note that commercial support use to have strict exigencies, such as
having the kernel version they order you to have, having installed the patches
they order you to install, to use the hardware they certify to support...

In my opinión, it's better to pay one or two "Linux experts" to work full time
at your company than to pay for commercial support to other company such as
RedHat or Suse.

Best Regards:

Nacho

--
No book comes out of a vacuum (G. Buehler)
http://www.lascartasdelavida.com