Re: snapshot.debian.net

At Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:58:57 +0200,
martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [2005.04.25.1115 +0200]:
> > I would love to have it as an official service, and even a backup.
> > I read that it currently takes one TB of disk space.
>
> We wanted to mirror it here in .ch but then decided against it. It
> grows quickly, and mirroring makes no sense, because it's way too
> much traffic, and there is a problem with time zones, since s.d.n
> indexes by day, among others.

Mirroring whole is actually bad idea, but as nature of contents in
snapshot.d.n, you don't need mirror old packages, so it's ok to mirror
recent date of debian archive and updated pool/ indexes only.

> Instead, if you really want to set up a European mirror, buy
> a couple of disks in Japan, ask them folks over there to make
> a copy, set it up with the same scripts here, rsync it once, and
> name it snapshot-eu.debian.net.

So, one issues to create replica or backup site in Europe (or other
region) is how to copy initial set of snapshot.debian.net.
I'm afraid rsync whole archive once would be impossible because it
would require huge memory resources (keep too many filename and
link information in memory).
My best good practice is that copy initial date of archive, copy it
to directory tree of next date by hard-linking (cp --link -a), rsync
onto it and repeat it for each days of archive.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI