Re: snapshot.debian.net

* Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:39:55AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > On Monday 25 April 2005 08.03, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader
> > wrote:
> > > * establishing a backup site for ``snapshot.debian.net``
>
> > I wonder if snapshot shouldn't be promoted to an official debian.*org*
> > service in recognition of its value to the project.
>
> One concern I have, personally, is over precisely how much value
> snapshot.d.n provides to the *project*, as opposed to providing value to
> others outside the project.  Since DDs have access to recently removed
> packages via the morgue on merkel (albeit not indexed nicely the way
> snapshot.d.n currently is), I really wonder if this service should be a
> priority for Debian to spend money on while our ports and other areas of
> core infrastructure are in a state of disarray (IMHO).

'Others outside the project'?  I hope you're not using that language to
refer to our *users*, who I would certainly *not* consider 'outside the
project'.

> I do find snapshot.d.n very helpful from time to time, and am certainly glad
> it's there; I don't even think it would be wrong for Debian to spend money
> on it; I just think there's just a question here of which hardware should
> get priority for funding.

In general, I agree with you here, but from the point of view that I
think our users will be better served by getting a release of sarge out
the door, which could be helped by spending funds on porting machines
and other things more then snapshot.d.n.

	Stephen