Re: Poll results: User views on the FDL issue

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 04:08:37AM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Not at all.  As I read the FSF and Stallman's position on the matter,
> that's what intended.  To me what seems crackbrained and radical is this
> notion that everything in Debian is "software" and must therefore be
> under a free software license.  I find it a scary concept that such
> dogmatic thinking may be in control of Debian, if for no other reason
> than it guarantees endless religious flamewars, and no sarge in the
> foreseable future. :-)

Whether it's software or not is irrelevant.  The SC clearly and explicitly
requires that all works in Debian be free, without regard to your convenient
redefinition of the word "software":

  http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003

  "1. Debian will remain 100% free

  We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free"
  in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines". We
  promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
  according to these guidelines. We will support people who create or
  use both free and non-free works on Debian. We will never make the
  system require the use of a non-free component."

This was voted in by an overwhelming majority of those voting, to make
it clear that documentation must be just as free as programs.  You're
free to express contempt for the overwhelming "dogmatic" majority who
voted for this--I can't be bothered to argue about that--but as you do,
be aware of who it is that's flaming ...

--
Glenn Maynard