getting lully back on-line [Was, Re: I'll be a son of a bitch.]

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 02:35:17PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> We already dismantled that machine's power supply to resolder a new fan into
> it, Mr. Fingerpointer.  Are you volunteering to provide a new boot drive? How
> very awesome!

> Just because Lully is hosted here doesn't mean there is local Alpha expertise.
> There is just free bandwidth and a free rack and free power cycles and free
> power supply repairs and a local Debian mirror.

> Bitching is easy. Get Debian to buy a new drive, have someone with Alpha
> expertise image it, ship it here and we'll swap it. Do two and configure it
> for RAID 1 while you are at it.

This is precisely the reason why I think it's so completely beside the
point, from Debian's POV, to worry about whether SPI is capable of
processing donations when we're organizationally incapable of making sure
they're put to good use once we have them -- like taking care of the
critical needs of our ports.

Has anyone asked the DPL to authorize purchasing new drives for lully?
Martin, is this feasible?  If someone can get me specs for what's needed,
I'm happy to order them.  What could I expect the turnaround to be for
reimbursement?

Ryan Murray has noted that goedel is the same class of machine as lully, and
that it might be a suitable box for doing the imaging -- but that also means
trans-Atlantic shipping and taking off-line the box that lully would be
acting as the back-up for, so I'm offering to do it here on my alpha
instead.  I just need some details about lully's hardware so I can be sure
to get the initrd right.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer