Re: Thinking about (mis)use of -private

Em Ter, 2005-04-05 às 10:37, Michael Banck escreveu:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:59:46AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On the contrary, I think a mail intended to reach all developers is
> > the *definition* of an announcement (wrt d-d-a).
> Also, there's a difference between 'Every DD should/must read this' and
> 'I'd like to reach every DD'.  We want DDs to read d-d-a with high
> priority (even the less active ones), so I suggest only important be
> posted there.

That's the concern more people seems to have. Many of the off-topic
messages in -private are in the limbo between d-d and d-d-a. I made this
confusion once, and it's pretty common to see this happening on
-private.

Maybe I'm having a wrong impression, but I do think the reason for most
of the misuse of -private is related to this.

> The issue with -devel being too high traffic and off-topic is of course
> still there;

That's something important.

> the GNOME dudes seems to somehow manage that by making up
> new lists and more recently to vigorously silence non-developers when
> matters get off-topic.

Silence off-topic threads is a suggestion that was already considered in
debian. Maybe it's not a bad idea.

> However, this implies that all developers are
> reasonably discussing on the devel list, which may be true for GNOME
> (most of the time), but less so for Debian :-/

Yeah, mostly because the too-high-traffic on -devel, i think. In this
way I thought about a moderated list to ensure a lower traffic.

daniel