Re: Thinking about (mis)use of -private

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:59:46AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On the contrary, I think a mail intended to reach all developers is
> the *definition* of an announcement (wrt d-d-a).

I have the impression that some geek mass media also monitor d-d-a as an
unofficial source of (taken as) Debian press releases, so I'd be a bit
cautious with that, not only DDs are reading d-d-a.

Also, there's a difference between 'Every DD should/must read this' and
'I'd like to reach every DD'.  We want DDs to read d-d-a with high
priority (even the less active ones), so I suggest only important be
posted there.

The issue with -devel being too high traffic and off-topic is of course
still there; the GNOME dudes seems to somehow manage that by making up
new lists and more recently to vigorously silence non-developers when
matters get off-topic.  However, this implies that all developers are
reasonably discussing on the devel list, which may be true for GNOME
(most of the time), but less so for Debian :-/

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer