Re: New Front Desk member

On Monday 31 January 2005 14:38, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:13:12PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo <fenio@debian.org> [2005.01.31.1258
+0100]:
> If you don't want to get flamed, try to make a point of reading the
> thread you're replying to, as using "he or she" was *not* the suggestion
> of the woman (which I guess is what you mean by "feminist") who started
> this thread.
>
> Onward in the noble fight for singular they,

Singular they is by no means the only contestant, see the Gender Neutral
Pronoun FAQ [1], or [2] which gives an overview of t (9!) possibille
approaches

I rather think that rewriting to avoid the problem where possible is the
only solution we can hope to get concensus on. If we can't do that my vote
(FWIW) goes to using one of the 'newly' invented pronouns (spivak pronouns,
zie/zir, or sie/hir), which seems to be the preferred solution in the
different queer en transgender communities i've come across over the years
(those communities are IMO arguably those to whom the matter matters most)

[1] http://www.aetherlumina.com/gnp/
[2] http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/genpr.htm
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)