Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:01:22PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> In many cases, the firmware may be provided by the hardware vendor in
> some form, so we can just use the existing media for install purposes.
> It's probably not reasonable to expect them to provide Debian installer
> modules as well, so in some cases we'd end up with twice as many items
> of removable media.

If those modules are in contrib (which is just as easy to redistribute as
main, unlike non-free), then it seems perfectly reasonable to me.  At
least in terms of the "do drivers requiring non-free blobs belong in
main" debate, this argument seems like a non-issue to me.

--
Glenn Maynard