Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> In the firmware case, the choice is rather different. At present, the
> choice is not between free firmware or non-free firmware. The choice is
> between non-free firmware on disk or non-free firmware in ROM. Putting
> drivers in contrib penalises the former, and as a result implicitly
> encourages the latter.

What penalisation specifically results from putting a driver in contrib?
I can think of a few things but am not sure I've hit all the relevant
points:

 - Contrib is no longer added to sources.list per default. Perhaps this
   should be re-re-examined.
 - Software in contrib is not currently includable in d-i.
   However, if you need non-free firmware anyway, which couldn't
   be in a d-i image in any case, you need some add-on media anyway,
   probably a driver disk, which could easily include the contrib
   firmware and driver too. Or you need a special non-free build of
   the installer, which is doable, I think.

--
see shy jo