Re: Re: wrong meaning of "GNU/Linux" on Debian Project mainpage

Am Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:30:12 +0100 schrieb Brian Masinick:

> I agree with you.  What is there currently is quite clear, and I don't
> think that it is misleading, either.  Just as Richard Stallman states,
> the system comes with GNU utilities, and in our case, GNU utilities,
> various other unencumbered utilities, and a choice of kernels.

The disagreement is about who produces the actual OS:

Stallman says: GNU/Linux is an OS, using the Linux kernel, being packaged
and distributed by distributors such as Debian

Debian says: Debian is an OS, using the GNU tools and the Linux kernel
(and prospectively other kernels, too)

Linus says: Linux is an OS, using the GNU tools and being packaged by
distributors.

So every party claims: I am the major player, the others are - however
important - merely contributors.

Probably the fairest compromise would be to say that "we", i.e. the GNU
project, Linux developers and Debian (and of course other
distributors) together produce an OS. None of the parties would get very
far without the others (unless GNU's own kernel replacement would one day
be ready, which is far from likely)

Thanks,

Johannes