Re: Debian Free Documentation Guidelines

Peter Karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:

> Why is it so clear that in Debian, we chose to subscribe to the second
> definition? Apparently from these discussions that pop up every now and then
> there are several people that agree more with the first one (that would
> include me).

It doesn't matter. The social contract says:

"We promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
according to these guidelines (the DFSG)."

The word software is not used here. Possibly the DFSG should have been
renamed at the same time as the word software was removed, but never
mind.

> We only talk about software in our social contract. There's no official
> statement that I know of that defines software to be that.

We don't actually talk about software at all in our social contract. We
did do until April, though.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org