Re: A sensible plan for non-free

The thing that you are setting aside is that this policy precisely mirrors the
current handling of non-free and contrib on CD. Furthermore, this approach
handles the problem of dealing with packages that do not allow
redistribution. It will be up to these secondary distributors to secure
permission to distribute these packages but we will have easy access to them
for development and bug tracking.

The alternative, apparently, will be some sort of external organization that
deals with non-free. Inevitably we will have to come to terms with such an
organization and draft policy for dealing with it's packages and inevitably
other such organizations will start and we'll be stuck with a whole new mess
of administrative headaches. That sucks.

I think if you carefully examine current Debian policy you will see that we
have created a two-class society of users. Our CD images do not contain
non-free and contrib but our on-line distribution does. So, for some reason,
we have determined that users with broadband Internet (principally 1st world
users) have some special right to questionably licensed software that third
world users do not. Surely that sucks as well.

My real preference, of course, is that we screw non-free altogether.
Realistically that can't occur. The sensible alternative I am advocating
simply brings on-line distribution into line with CD distribution. If you
really don't like my idea then you should be recommending a GR to add
non-free and contrib to the CD distribution.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
Brainfood, Inc.