experimental Request Tracker site for Debian infrastrcture available

Hi folks,

As mentioned in my Debian Project Leader platform for this year[1], and
thanks to some assistance from Doug Porter, an RT (Request Tracker)
instance is now available for the use of Debian developers.  Actually
it's been available for a few days, but it seems to have not fallen over
yet.  :)

The site is:

         http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/rt

You can explore by using username "guest", password "guest".  If you
would like a personalized account, please email me privately.

A few miscellaneous remarks:

1) This is not official.
2) This is not mandatory, and won't be even if I'm elected DPL.  It's a
   resource for the convenience of people who find it useful.
3) It's not for technical problems, like bugs in packages.  Those belong
   at bugs.debian.org.
4) The machine it's hosted on is not really beefy enough for serious RT
   use.  I think it's fast enough to be usable, but it's not entirely
   comfortable.  If this pilot project takes off, it will need to be
   hosted someplace else (or necrotic will have to be replaced with a
   more modern machine).
5) If very many people find this useful, RT's notion of users and groups
   probably needs to be kept in sync with the LDAP database of
   developers, not maintained by hand.
6) The list of queues is not meant to perfectly map to the list of roles
   at <URL: http://www.debian.org/intro/organization>, though I did use
   that for inspiration.  If you'd like to see a new queue created,
   please follow-up to this message.
7) This is a pilot project ONLY.  I don't hold it forth as The Answer To
   All Of Our Infrastructural Problems.  There is no single answer.  I
   invite people to use this to see if it's good at helping us solve
   problems that have previously been handled in a more ad-hoc fashion.
8) If you're a member of an infrastructural team and you think it sucks
   for any reason not covered above (i.e., slow, not LDAPped, wrong
   queues), please use this thread to talk about why.  Maybe there is
   another ticket-tracking technology that would be a better fit for our
   needs.  Or maybe ticket-tracking isn't an answer at all.  The more
   you can say about *why* RT is or is not useful for helping you get
   stuff done, the more likely we'll be to make better selections of
   technology in the future.

So, given all those caveats, please have fun with it.  :)

[1] http://people.debian.org/~branden/dpl/campaign/2004/platform.xhtml

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Imagination was given man to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    compensate for what he is not, and