Re: Founding moment for Debian

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:16:42AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> Thanks for this :)  It's inspiring to see that Debian started out as it
> goes on.  It is worrying ,however, that it was intended to ease the burden
> for those without 'Net access.  (As someone downloading nearly 3MB of
> package information each night to get my update fix that sentence is now
> particularly ironic :) )

Debian did (and does) help those without (good) network access by providing
a very complete distribution on CD-ROM.  A user with a full Debian CD set is
rather unlikely to need network access in order to get software.

The "installation procedure that doesn't need to be babysat" and "system
setup procedure that will attempt to setup and configure everything from
fstab to Xconfig", on the other hand...

--
 - mdz