Re: Stance on SCO?

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 21:46:53 +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Does the Debian project have a stance on the SCO issue?  If so which
> one?  Since we still distribute the Linux kernel, I guess that we
> don't believe that it infringes SCO's alleged intellectual property.

To the best of my knowledge, the issue so far consists of allegations and
rumors from a company that's far along the way to obsolescence. They have
yet to produce anything that could be remotely considered evidence, while
there have been concrete indications of SCO itself violating the GPL by the
inclusion of GPLed filesystem code from the Linux kernel into its
proprietary (Unixware?) kernel.

My stance, which I suspect is shared by many in the project, is that SCO has
never quite been a friend of the free software community and has now decided
on a business/exit strategy that makes it a clear enemy of our community. As
such, I hope IBM (the defendant in the lawsuit) will have the backbone not
to chose the easy way out (e.g. buying SCO or settle financially) but to
pursue the issue to its limit (i.e. disprove the allegations that GNU/Linux
has been tainted by Unix intellectual property) and put SCO out of its
misery by crushing it.

Ray
--
First they ignore you.