Re: iMac G3 r128 - failed to load module "r128"

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 11:33, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
Hello!

On 5/23/20 9:52 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 5/23/20 9:48 PM, Jeroen Diederen wrote:
>> I installed Debian Sid on an old iMac G3 500 with an ATI Rage 128 card. I cannot
>> get X working. In the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that r128 module fails to load.
>> I can not find the xserver-org-video-r128 package. Can someone shed a light ?
>
> The driver was removed from the package repository [1], I will re-add them soonish.

Good news on this issue: Adrian Bunk has kindly stepped up and is working on re-adding
the legacy driver packages to the Debian archive [1]. So users will be able to use
X on the affected machines in the near future again.

If anyone knows about some particular fixes that are required for the drivers - such
as for the eMac - it would be nice if we could assemble a list of these fixes so they
can be integrated into the Debian packages later. The fixes should, of course, get
upstreamed whereever possible.

Hi Adrian!
My emac is fully up to date and is still working great with my changes (as detailed some time ago on this list) to put an EDID binary in the initrd and set a kernel argument to specify it. It has worked fine through kernel updates etc, though I have not tried it with grub.

However the emac driver is modesetting, whereas I believe r128 and friends are not. Thus r128 etc require booting with modesetting disabled, and CRT imacs in particular will also require an xorg.conf with the correct modelines because, like the emac, they do not support EDID, but as they are not modesetting the method is different (xorg.conf vs kernel arguments/EDID binary).

If you'd like I can try to find some time to package the EDID binary I use on my emac. However debian packaging is a new process for me...

Best,
Ed Robbins

Thanks,
Adrian