Re: Installing snapshot 2021-01-03 on a PowerMac G5

Hello everyone,

On 10 Jan 2021, at 23:48, Johannes Brakensiek wrote:

Regarding the manual installation of GRUB I took some time to study that tutorial (and try some first steps), but it looks like that is for those knowing the powerful way of the boot path warrior. I am showing great respect for these honourable men and women and their way to higher levels of achievements. But for me I decide to stay a simple man and wait for the fixes to come. ;)

Thank you for your work. Once some fixes arrive I’d be eager to test them.

just for the record. I managed to finish installation using the script mentioned over there (thanks to Bertrand for the hint!):

https://forum.powerprogress.org/d/15-debian-10-updated-installation-images-for-debian-ports-2019-11-22

I booted from a USB stick using:

boot ud:\boot\grub\powerpc.elf

I used a recent iso to flash the stick. I modified the script from powerprogress a little (to be run in the rescue system after installation). I had to use the ofpathname bin as there was not ofpath binary using that installation (may be the reason setting up nvram failed). I also removed the line setting up fstab as that one made booting fail (partition could not be mounted).

I also used a NewWorld boot partition a little bigger (2MB should be enough, took 64MB just to be sure).

In rescue mode I installed some drivers from powerprogress using the script and as well the nouveau driver for the NVidia GeForce 6600. Installing the windfarm driver was not necessary anymore. Fans behaved well.

Setting nvram using the rescue system/script also did not work for me as well. I had to do so manually using Open Firmware:

setenv boot-device ’hd:2,\grub’

After booting the installed system graphics showed up, but were very distorted (MATE) or kept crashing (Xfce and Lxqt) with segfaults. Graphics worked perfectly fine using Enlightenment (very blingbling using OpenGL) and WindowMaker (no blingbling at all as we know it).

So far. Thanks for all the hints
Johannes