Re: Number of machines running powerpc and ppc64 rising

Am 24.04.20 um 16:12 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
> Hi! I have been watching the popcon statistics for powerpc and ppc64
> [1] and the number of machines running the powerpc or ppc64 ports is
> slowly rising since we got GRUB working :). Thanks to everyone who is
> enabling the popularity contest package, maybe we will overtake
> ppc64el with the ppc64 port, who knows ;). Adrian
>> [1] https://popcon.debian.org/

That's interesting. I always wonder how such statistics can prove
anything... or disprove.
I don't have the popularity contest enabled on any of my machines. I
don't think that a package or port should be removed because not enough
people are usings it. You don't even know if they are using it, for all
you know is that they have it installed, but not whether they ever run
it or not. And what does it even mean? If, say, 5 people worldwide use a
specific package or distribution or port, does this make them less
valued because they are too few? What if one of them uses the
distro/port/package for their work that will be the next Nobel Price?
And what if a million people use it only to run firefox and youtube on it?

I think, if devs want to provide packages, they should. I also think
that they are all still users too. Plus there is this mailing list, and
as long as people write about problems, you know someone is (still)
using it.

I myself have a couple of Power Macs that I'm running from time to time.
I'm a private user though, and those computers are my hobby. I haven't
found the time to update my Debian installation yet, but I intend to.
Whenever I find the time, that is. So I won't be in the statistics as
well. But I won't be in it anyways, since I deliberately don't activate
the popularity contest.

I'm also playing with Gentoo Linux on those machines... Very time
consuming, but fun, too.

Thanks,
Linux User #330250