Re: installation-reports: - succesfull installation on iMac G5 and powermac G5 Quad (ppc64)

Hi Martine!

On 4/27/20 8:52 AM, MH wrote:
> I succesfully install debian with grub via NETINST.iso. On both (iMac and powermac G5)
> installer work out of the box, I tested guided and manual partitioning.
> Installation reports send (958835,958844).

Great to hear!

> Thank you very much for great work.

Thank you for testing and reporting back.

> I have only two minor things, but they are connected more with mac OF, than with debian.
>
> 1) grub partition is not visible on mac early Startup Manager.
> solution is simple - to "bless: file "/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX" on grub partition.
> Unfortunatelly I dont't know how to do it from debian itself. hfsutils: hattrib can "bless" directory, not file.
> Do somebody know how to "bless" single file ( like ybin does ?)?
> I fix it with MorphOs command HFSSetMacBoot, but this is not available without MorphOS.

Thanks for the feedback. I look into this and see if there is a solution for this.

I wasn't aware of this problem.

> 2) if OF "boot-command" is set to something other than "mac-boot" (in my case I have here
> exact boot-command with path for starting MorphOS) mac don't boot with grub, and if there
> is no grub visible on Startup manager, only way how to boot linux if OF command.
> It can be fixed by setting nvsetenv boot-device to "ofpath\grub" or to "mac-boot"

Not sure I understand how you end up in this situation. Can you explain in detail
how to reproduce this problem?

> I am very happy that there is again modern Debian for these machines.

Glad you enjoy Debian!

> I also installed desktops ( lxde, lxqt, mate ) - all without problems, 2D,3D working on
> iMac. ( on powermac I have X1900 G5 Edition card, which is incompatible with linux)
>
> Now I will try installations on powerbook G4, and try to made custom vmlinux to install
> Debian on Pegasos2 and AmigaX1000.

I have a Pegasos II box myself but I haven't gotten around testing Debian on it yet,
so I cannot comment on this yet and whether it works. So it's completely untested.

> thanks to all for a lot of hard work

Sure :).

Adrian

--