Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 and iBook G3's

The irony is that on the i686 side, my Thinkpad T42 features the same GPU, and it works just fine with Debian unstable.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 10:35 PM Steve Burkhart <benzguy1197@gmail.com> wrote:
firnware-amd-graphics is installed when firmware-linux-nonfree is installed, so yes.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 10:25 PM Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:12:10PM -0400, Steve Burkhart wrote:
> While we're on the topic of display driver problems, does anyone know why
> the ATI Radeon 7500 found in many iBook G3 models is non functional with
> Xorg? After installing the non free firmware, the screen just blinks, and
> eventually freezes. I've encountered this problem on 500Mhz, 600MHz,
> 700MHz, 800MHz, and 900MHz iBooks G3's, and the common theme among them is
> that they all feature the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, with either 16MB of
> VRAM, or 32MB of VRAM.

Have you installed firmware-amd-graphics package in particular? That
graphics card should work with the radeon kernel module and most
likely requires the radeon/R100_cp.bin firmware which is in the
aforementioned debian package.

Cheers,
Michael.