ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 and iBook G3's

While we're on the topic of display driver problems, does anyone know why the ATI Radeon 7500 found in many iBook G3 models is non functional with Xorg? After installing the non free firmware, the screen just blinks, and eventually freezes. I've encountered this problem on 500Mhz, 600MHz, 700MHz, 800MHz, and 900MHz iBooks G3's, and the common theme among them is that they all feature the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, with either 16MB of VRAM, or 32MB of VRAM.