Re: iMac G3 support in Sid, Impossible?

Il 18/04/20 23:22, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
On 4/18/20 10:58 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 4:56 PM Alex McKeever
<alex.mckeever@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

The problem I have now is X fails to configure and I’m unable to find an up to date configuration file for this machine.

After unpacking X, update their confg.guess and config.sub. See
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/config_002eguess.html.
You can use the same process for other packages, like X.

I don't think Alex is talking about autoconf here as he doesn't intend to
build X.org from source.

Rather, he has most likely issues getting X running on his iMac G3 and
I assume it's a similar issue as seen on the eMac [1].

I had the chance to play both with an eMac G4 and a iMac G3 in the past.
Both machines have CRT monitors and ATI video cards.
To the best of my knowledge, for both machines "black screen of death" issues started with Jessie [1].
I strongly believe the two issues are similar.

The email that Adrian is reporting is the first promising approach to find a solution for eMacs that I saw in the last years.

I think it could be worth to create an EDID binary for the iMac G3 too. Unfortunately I do not have access to one anymore.

Adrian

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2020/04/msg00001.html

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/06/msg00136.html

Regards