Re: Debian on a PowerMac G5 installers broken for 2019-04-11 and 2019-11-24

On 4/13/20 7:00 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 4/13/20 8:42 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:>
Just spent the last five or six hours going in circles on this and both installers are
broken. They seem unable to install grub and I did try the instructions at
https://forum.powerprogress.org/d/15-debian-10-updated-installation-images-for-debian-ports-2019-11-22

I'm not affiliated with that forum or any of these posts.

That does not work either.

Anyone know of a Debian ppc64 installer that does work on the G5 ?

I'm pretty sure that you were one of the people that I explained to the
problem about the non-standard compliance of Apple's OpenFirmware
implementation and the need to patch ofpathname to work with that.

The work you do is great and I have said it before. Some architectures would not even exist if it were not for you.

I would love to run an IBM POWER8 machine but there are expensive and
very very loud to run whereas the G5, with the windfarm modules in
place, is whisper quiet.

I have jessie_8.7.1 from 2017 01 16 which is known to use yaboot and
 thus works fine.

As for helping with grub, I seem to have a lot of spare time whereas you
do not. I should step up to the plate here and try to figure out where
to begin.

Probably by doing a review of the existing codebase.

Lets also keep in mind that the G5 is very very old and getting older so it won't be popular for much longer. It is barely used at all these
days.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC