Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Quoting:

>If this option is disabled, you allow userspace (root) access to all
>io-memory regardless of whether a driver is actively using that range.
>Accidental access to this is obviously disastrous, but specific access
>can be used by people debugging kernel drivers.
Allowing this configuration in the default kernel sounds like a very bad
idea and I don't think Debian's kernel maintainers will agree to change
this setting.

I'm afraid you will have to keep building your kernel from source.
If it is a security options which has a serious impact on user laptop or desktop machines. We are saying that most probably default instal without a kernel rebuild is without X for many users of cards with legacy drivers. On a laptop I have less security concerns than on a server and run dangerous applications like X11 and a browser like firefox!

Can it be kept on on PPC 32bit only? Especially since we know it has a larger legacy hardware base than others. Probably on 64bit nobody has such video cards, I imagine I am not the only one running Xorg legacy.

Compiling a kernel is not really difficult but quite  time consuming.

I still think a bug should be opened thus - where should I do it, now that we aren't a release arch anymore?

Riccardo