Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

Hi,

Michel Dänzer wrote:
>[   175.085] (EE) MACH64(0): Unable to map linear aperture. Invalid
>argument (22)
This could still be due to CONFIG_IO_STRICT_DEVMEM, assuming offb
registers the linear VRAM aperture.

Note that I wouldn't count on the kernel package maintainers honing a
request to disable CONFIG_IO_STRICT_DEVMEM again, as it's desirable from
a security/safety perspective. But I guess you can try.
I did a full native build of the 4.9.13 kernel using this guide:

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch08s06.html.en

I used the debian supplied config except the IO strict devmem setting.
It took almost 2 days to build on the iBook using a SSD! :)

X11 now works, so this is the proof.
Furthermore the description says that the setting is incompatible with with legacy Xorg, which is the one I am using.

Maybe with an updated ATI driver the usage of legacy is not necessary anymore? I doubt somebody works/worked on these older Mach drivers though.

Adrian, can you open the bug or should I, where ?

Riccardo