Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

Hi Michel,

Michel Dänzer wrote:
Could CONFIG_IO_STRICT_DEVMEM=y be the issue?
Looks like that's it. According to the description of that option, it
prevents userspace from accessing I/O memory ranges which are already
claimed by a kernel driver. I.e. you have to choose whether you want to
let the kernel atyfb driver or the Xorg mach64 driver access the GPU's
MMIO register aperture.

could we turn that option back (if proven that it is it)?

To test this I would need to run the new kernel without the kernel atyfb and see if then Xorg starts. I asked for advice on how to, if it were grub or lilo I would know how to change the kernel parameters, but with Mac I'm less easy.

Thanks,

Riccardo